This Chicken in Yellow Curry comes from The World Kitchen from Williams-Sonoma with some slight alterations made by yours truly. It is a FANTASTIC cookbook and I use it more often than the other recipe books that decorate the counter in my kitchen. It has authentic cuisine from countries around the world, and I have yet to dislike a meal that I made from this cookbook.
If you enjoy curry, give this one a try! If you aren't sure about curry, try it anyway. :)
This is great to make on a Sunday when you may have more time to cook. Plan ahead because the mixture simmers for an hour, but it is well worth it! This also makes great leftovers for the week. Next time I may add some green pepper to give it some color because it is pretty yellow, as the name suggests! Maybe I should have served it in a different color bowl...
Chicken in Yellow Curry
- 3 T canola oil
- 3 lb. Chicken Thighs - I used boneless / skinless
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 T curry powder
- 1 T dark brown sugar
- 1 t red pepper flakes
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 2 t lemongrass (the easiest is using the kind from a squeeze tube); otherwise, 2 stalks chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced (if you want large pieces of ginger, slice instead)
- 1 C chicken broth
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 2 T fish sauce
- 3 carrots cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1 med. sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 T basil (optional, but it adds some color)!
- Wild, brown, or basmati rice
- Warm the oil in a dutch oven over med-high heat and brown chicken in batches (about 4 minutes each side). Once browned, remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Once chicken is browned, at shallots and garlic to drippings in dutch oven and saute 30 seconds to 1 minute. Then add curry, sugar, red pepper, black pepper, lemongrass and ginger. Mix together and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth to the pot and deglaze the pan. You may need to scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon!
- Stir in the coconut milk and fish sauce.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken thighs, carrots and sweet potato back into the coconut milk mixture. Make sure to push the chicken and veggies down into the liquid with a spoon so they are covered.
- Partially cover and cook over low heat for about 1 hour. Chicken should be cooked through and tender, veggies should be soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice.
- Spoon rice into bowls, and scoop chicken curry mixture on top. Garnish with basil and serve warm.